Should lawyers be on TikTok? More to the point, how can lawyers leverage the most out of this popular app? Dive in to find all the answers…and a FREE Checklist! 🎁😎
What comes to mind when you think of TikTok? Maybe it’s trending dance videos, lip-synching, and comedy sketches. A lot of people don’t think of lawyers on TikTok right away.
But that’s a mistake! TikTok is a force to be reckoned with. Research states the following:
TikTok is powerful for a number of reasons. But what primarily makes it so successful is its focus on videos that connect with people because humans are naturally visual learners. Research reinforces this; around 65% of the general population are visual learners! In other words, videos and images are being processed quicker than verbal communication, which makes TikTok a remarkable asset for law firms!
Not only is the presence of #LawyerTikTok active and growing, but it presents an amazing opportunity for legal professionals to boost their business by reaching new markets.
Simply put, TikTok is a powerful business tool that you need to take advantage of. So, here’s our guide to the what, why, and how firms like yours can take advantage of #LegalTok.
What is #LegalTok?
TikTok is a social media app built around short videos. But there’s more to it than that.
Some people are actually calling TikTok a new type of search engine. Research shows that 40% of Gen Z (ages 18-24) use the platform—along with Instagram—instead of Google.
This shows the power of TikTok, especially with the younger generations. They may no longer turn to Google to find legal services, so you’ve got to go to where they are!
There are some other important features of TikTok:
- All ages use TikTok: Research found that as of September 2021, just 25% of users were under the age of 20 and a full 33% of users are over the age of 40.
- It’s huge: In 2021, TikTok reported 1 billion monthly active users, representing a 45% growth from the previous year.
- Users spend a lot of time on the app: Research by Sensor Tower found that TikTok users spent an average of 95 minutes on TikTok in Q2 2022, compared to 74 minutes on YouTube and 51 on Instagram. Can you imagine how many short videos a user is consuming during those 74 minutes? A lot!
What this shows us is that the TikTok market is large, diverse, engaged, and growing–and most importantly, that the users want genuine connections.
Why Should Law Firms Be On TikTok
If you are thinking, ‘my audience isn’t there’ the reality is that your TikToks may not be for everyone, but they are for someone!
Let’s dive a bit deeper into why lawyers and legal firms should get on TikTok. There are so many reasons, but here are the top ones:
- It’s popular and growing: It was the most-downloaded app in 2021 and is the 6th most-used platform globally. Given its growth, you can assume that your ideal client and audience is on TikTok. Remember, you’re not trying to cater to everyone, but there are enough people on there that you can find a niche audience for your legal services.
- Videos work: There’s a reason videos are all over your social media feeds—they work! HubSpot’s research found that consumers have doubled the amount of video they watched since 2018 and marketers are responding by increasing budgets for video marketing.
- There’s already a lot of lawyers there. If you want to stay relevant to your competition, you need to be on TikTok, too. #Lawyer TikTok has a large presence already—just check out some famous creators like @lawbymike, @legaleagle, or @bradshear.
- It’s free. While you need to invest time into building your TikTok presence, the platform itself is free and easy to get started. Check out our partner Consultwebs’ resource on TikTok for Lawyers for a step-by-step guide to get started.
With advantages like this, the question really becomes: why not TikTok? Let’s take a look at some creative ideas.
Creative Strategies For Law Firms on TikTok
The data is there, the evidence is there—TikTok is an effective place to grow your business and reach new markets as a legal professional.
You might be wondering… How do I get started? What should I post about? Do I have to learn TikTok dances?
As a starting point, Consultwebs is giving away:
- A TikTok Guide With Proven Tips From a Legal Social Media Manager at Consultwebs
- 🎁A FREE Checklist With The Top 7 TikTok Topics for Lawyers
But, here’s the beauty behind TikTok: there’s no real right or wrong way to get started. The reason people love TikTok so much is because it’s real people sharing real information. So, be yourself, offer valuable and interesting content, and build authentic connections. When you do those things, you’ll build a platform to reach new audiences, and ultimately, grow your legal business.
As TikTok continues to grow, if you’d like creative direction without the headaches, feel free to schedule a 1-1 and we’d be happy to discuss further details.